7 Best SAP Monitoring Tools [2023 Ranked & Reviewed]
As the business expands, organizations can’t monitor the performance of SAP tools manually. Instead, they need automated tools for SAP monitoring that can perform this task hassle-free and without burdening the system resources. Above all, SAP monitoring tools allow real-time evaluation of an organization’s IT infrastructure. To help you select an appropriate tool, we’ll discuss the best SAP monitoring tools in this article.
Best SAP monitoring software
Distributed monitoring from anywhere.
|Seamless environment for SAP monitoring.|
Ability to monitor around 1000 devices and services concurrently.
All crucial technologies like Ping, SNMP, HTTP requests, SSH, and WMI are supported.
Enable users to create interactive maps with PRTG map designer.
Equipped with pre-configured PRTG sensors.
Troubleshooting infrastructure performance.
Numerous integrations let users collect and report metrics across an entire IT stack.
Correlates container data and logs to simplify troubleshooting.
Allow users to check container-specific metrics for CPU, disk usage, memory, load, etc.
It provides a glimpse of database health whether you run your infrastructure or use the Amazon RDS.
Monitor and improve JVM performance so the JAVA-based SAP applications run smoothly.
Visualizes data via multiple modes.
|Multiple modes for dashboarding support. |
Targets are identified via service discovery.
No reliance on distributive storage.
Enables slicing of collected data so the users can generate tables, charts, and graphics.
SolarWinds Server and Application Monitor (SAM)
Proactively monitor Linux applications and performance issues.
Allow users to set thresholds for a unique development environment to stay ahead of the performance issues.
Application response time monitoring allows users to identify the root cause of slow applications.
Equipped with AWS cloud monitoring tool for AWS cloud.Equipped with Docker monitoring tools for Docker containers so the users can visualize metrics and receive alerts.
Taking your IT infrastructure
Automatic scheduling and tracking.Personalized workspaces to configure dashboards.Real-time RMM tracking.
Simple drag-and-drop interface with 650+ pre-written scripts.
Enable users to automate the regular task.
Proactive network monitoring
Keeps your sensitive information secure by storing it in a separate vault.
Ensure 24/7 uptime and eliminate the potential threat of data loss.
Monitor any possible performance metric in your network, including but not limited to bandwidth, packet loss rate, or interface error rate.
The Elastic Stack
Creating live presentations to manage live KPIs.
Configurable retention policy so the users can decide how long they want to hold monitoring data—issue automatic alerts on stack issues.
It has many management tools like APIs to retain complete control over the data, cluster operations, etc.
Provides different tools to configure security and perform other tasks from the command line.
1. PRTG – Best SAP monitoring tool overall
Supported vendors and applications: Apache, VMware, AWS, Cisco, and hp.
Developer: Paessler AG.
License: freeware and commercial edition.
PRTG is a cloud-based platform for SAP monitoring with exceptional infrastructure monitoring capabilities for networks, servers, virtual machines, and ERP applications. It supports both agentless and agent-based monitoring. Since it supports agentless monitoring, it consumes relatively fewer system resources and requires considerably low maintenance costs.
- Fast, simple, and easy to set up.
- Both on-premise and cloud-hosted.
- Provides both outside-the-box and customized solutions to detect performance issues in SAP-based business applications.
- Equipped with an in-built map designer to visually represent connected components and networks.
- Generate customizable alerts via emails, pops ups, and scripts.
- Filter database operations if the business application uses JDBC.
- Does not support Linux OS.
- Some features require scripting knowledge.
2. Sematext Monitoring – Full stack IT infrastructure monitoring tool
Supported OS: Windows, Mac, and Linux OS.
License: Freeware (14 days trial).
Developer: Elasticsearch, OpenSearch, and Logging Consulting.
Sematext is a full-stack SAP monitoring tool that provides real-time analysis of an organization’s IT infrastructure. It can flawlessly monitor the status of databases, inventory, applications, servers, processes, and databases. Furthermore, Sematext’s customizable dashboards allow users to track any desired metric. As a result, the user can combine alerts and logs in one single phase. To set an alert for a particular metric, you only need to click on the alert icon next to that metric.
- Process monitoring for visualization performance metrics.
- A lightweight and open-source application allows quick onboarding.
- Monitor and correlate logs and events to provide insight into the organization’s IT infrastructure.
- Trusted by the world’s largest tech conglomerates like eBay, Instagram, and Microsoft.
- Significantly reduce MTR (minimum recovery time) by troubleshooting SAP IT infrastructure performance-related issues.
- Limited support for transaction tracking.
- User management required more improvement.
3. Prometheus – A cloud-native platform for SAP monitoring.
Supported OS: Windows, Mac, and Linux.
License: Apache License 2.0
Prometheus is a popular open-source SAP monitoring tool primarily designed for heavily containerized environments. Since its inception, it has been adopted by many leading organizations. Therefore, it has a huge user community. Moreover, Prometheus uses time-series data to collect and store metrics that indicate metrics are stored with timestamps at which it was recorded.
- Standalone utility with no dependence on external service.
- Does not require extensive infrastructure for monitoring.
- Well-integrated for Kubernetes infrastructure monitoring.
- Works well for recording numeric data.
- It supports both machine-centric monitoring as well as monitoring of highly dynamic service-oriented architectures.
- Continue working when the remaining parts of the infrastructure stop working.
- Not suitable for tasks that require 100% accuracy like pre-request billing
- No automated scaling, which is often required in large organizations.
4. SolarWinds – Comprehensive server and application monitoring tool
Supported OS: Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Developer: SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC.
License: freeware and commercial license.
SolarWinds offers in-depth monitoring of SAP applications and outside-the-box support for more than 1200 applications and systems. On top of that, it allows users to track infrastructure components via Rest API, Powershell, Snmp, and WMI.
- Visualization of data via its easy-to-use dashboard.
- Monitor key performance metrics like CPU, memory, and uptime for Docker containers.
- Capacity charts and forecasts to help with long-term capacity planning.
- Monitor server performance via 1200 monitoring templates across public, private, and hybrid cloud environments.
- Improve response time monitoring to reduce server response time and ensure availability.
- Easy monitoring and management of file server.
- Difficult to configure due to the presence of multiple modules.
- Some tools have the same capabilities.
5. N-able RMM – Remote monitoring and management tool
Supported OS: Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS.
Developer: N-able Solutions ULC.
License: free (trial period).
N-able RMM is a security-focused SAP monitoring tool that provides service and insights into the diverse IT environment of the client they are managing. Besides, It helps with the proactive identification and elimination of issues.
- Provides insightful knowledge to the users based on the data gathered from different sources.
- Extensive monitoring architecture via API integration.
- Live chat support.
- Dedicated mobile app for technicians.
- Drag and drop feature for file transfer.
- Not feasible for organizations with heavy workloads.
- No hybrid backup feature.
6. Zabbix – Professionally developed open-source software with no hidden cost
Supported OS: Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android.
Developed: Zabbix LLC.
Zabbix is an open-source automation tool for SAP monitoring. It is a versatile tool that offers multiple monitoring options for networks, servers, the cloud, business applications, and databases. Besides, Zabbix features a visualization capability that allows you to gain insight into the organization’s infrastructure.
- Lightweight application with a smaller footprint.
- Seamlessly integrate with other applications via Ziabbix API.
- Broad support for all the relevant infrastructure components.
- 24/7 technical support.
- Hands-on personal training for newbies.
- Supported by 250+ external vendors and global partners.
- Complex procedure for initial deployment and configuration.
- Not compliant with the SaaS applications.
7. Elastic Stack – Maximize value and optimize performance.
Supported OS: Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Developer: Elasticsearch B.V.
Elastic Stack combines three open-source utilities: Elasticsearch, Kibana, and Logstash. It can reliably and securely gather data from any source for analysis and visualization.
- Extensive libraries for multiple scripting and programming languages.
- Analyze telemetry data from distributive infrastructure in real-time.
- Real-time customization, analysis, and data visualization to provide in-depth insights.
- Display CPU/memory utilization in the Kibana dashboard.
- With cross-data-center replication, no additional technology is required to replicate data across data centers.
- Multi-step deployment process.
- A complex infrastructure configuration is required to ensure resiliency and data usability.
What is SAP monitoring?
SAP monitoring is the process of proactively monitoring application servers. Since a vast majority of organizations today use SAP tools like Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), and Customer Relationship Management, SAP monitoring is mandatory to help ensure that the network software performance is at par with the standards defined by the IT admins. You might also want to check the best UPS monitoring software.
How monitoring tools are used in SAP?
SAP monitoring tools provide IT teams insights into the system performance and grant them access to the system end-users have access to. Moreover, SAP monitoring tools can flawlessly perform many other tasks, notably automatic intrusion detection, streamlining the review process of user accounts, and managing both on-premise and cloud deployment of the SAP applications.
SAP monitoring tools provide a helicopter view of the IT infrastructure status, including performance, availability, utilization, and security. Additionally, it can generate notifications and reports that deliver insightful knowledge, regardless of where the application is hosted. Some monitoring tools are designed for specific purposes like performance tracking, while others offer complete monitoring with plenty of customization tools.
Some business owners try to develop customized monitoring tools to avoid dependency on third-party vendors. However, they wasted time and money on the least important tasks. Therefore, defining monitoring metrics and buying the tool that meets organizations’ needs is always better than creating a new monitoring tool from scratch.